By Shibri K
Our skin is the reflection of what we eat. Someone has rightly said, “You are what you eat”. In this post, I’m going to share with you some food mistakes which may be keeping us away from the skin we always desired for. Read on to know more:
1) Salt: Many of us may not have an idea what havoc salt could cause to our skin. Too much salt could cause water retention which can also lead to swelling. If you eat too much salt in dinner, you will wake up with puffy eyes and tired face in the morning. Too much salt intake also cause ugly-looking dark shadows around eyes. Keep a tab on your daily salt intake & avoid eating pickles & other spicy food in dinner.
2) Sugar: Sugar is another silent killer. Many of us may not be aware how sugar ruins our skin & acts as one of the major reasons of aging faster. One of the main ways sugar ruins your skin is that it causes inflammation in the body. Inflammation in the skin will cause breakouts & irritated skin, so it is very important to keep eye on refined & added sugar in your diet. Cutting out sugar helps to maintain healthy skin. So make sure to avoid white sugar as well as brown sugar.
3) Dairy Products: Dairy products don’t suit everyone. There are no proven theories relating to consumption of dairy products with skin but there have been cases where people noticed remarkable improvement in their skin and acne after eliminating dairy products from their diet. You have to see for yourself & need to figure out if it works for you or not.
4) Crash dieting/Starving: By crash dieting, you deprive your body of essential nutrients. Lack of proper nutrients in diet causes dark circles, dull complexion and makes your face look dull. So even if you are trying to lose weight, eat balanced diet including lots n lots of veggies & salads; have coconut water every day as it is very rich in nutrients.
5) Not consuming enough fluids: By not consuming enough fluids, our body gets dehydrated. Lack of hydration makes skin dry & dull and is also one of the major reasons for other health ailments. Make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep your body hydrated.
7) Alcohol: We like a good cocktail now and then. But what is alcohol really doing to our skin is shocking. Consuming alcohol is one of the reasons of dehydration; it steals the moisture from skin, leaving it dry & dull.
8) Starchy food: Food high in starch is best avoided for dewy & beautiful skin. White breads, pastas and cakes should be consumed within limit for better looking skin.