Bollywood is undoubtedly a fancy place. With all the glam, glitz and controversies, it’s always in the news. But sometimes, it can really amaze you. Take a look at these amazing facts about Bollywood that’ll definitely leave you scratching your head.
1. Fatma Begum was the first ever female Bollywood film director. She debuted with the film Bulbul-e-Paristan in 1926.
2. Tales of Amitabh Bachchan’s punctuality have always been around. But did you know he’s so punctual that a lot of times he used to open the gates of Filmistan Studios himself, because he’d reach earlier than the gatekeeper?
3. Waheeda Rahman has played both a mother and lover, on screen, to Amitabh Bachchan. In ‘Adalat’(1976), she played his love interest, while in Trishul (1978), she played his mother. Such is life.
4. In ‘Rang De Basanti’, Rakeysh Mehra managed to shoot all the songs with none of the actors lip syncing in them. Definitely a tough one.
5. 40s’ music director Naushad, who has given music for films like Baiju Bawra and Mother India, was introduced as a tailor to his bride! Because cinema was looked down upon in those times. Ironically, the music that played in his baraat was his own composition from the movie Rattan.
6. Before he became an actor, Sunil Dutt was an RJ for Radio Ceylon and wanted to interview Nargis. But it had to be cancelled when he couldn’t say a single word to her! Later, when he worked with her in Mother India (1957), they fell in love and got married.
7. Hrithik Roshan’s actual surname is Nagrath. His father, Rakesh Roshan, took up his father, Roshanlal Nagrath’s, initial name as his surname. Hence, Hrithik Roshan.
8. Aamir Khan comes from the same lineage as writer and nationalist Maulana Abdul Kalam Azaad. He is Azaad’s great grand nephew.
9. Superstar Rajanikanth has actually never said the words ‘yenna rascala, mind it!’ in any of his movies. Shahrukh Khan first used it in his movie Om Shanti Om.
10. Devika Rani was the first ever Bollywood actress to have a degree in film making. She founded the famous Bombay Talkies Ltd studio in Mumbai, with her husband Rai, and was also the grand niece of Rabindranath Tagore.
11. Raj Kapoor’s Mera Naam Joker had not one, but two intervals. Justifiable considering the movie was 255 minutes long.
12. Aamir Khan’s Lagaan had the maximum number of British actors ever to be cast in a single Bollywood flick.
13. Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai found a place in the Guinness Book of World Records in 2002 for winning the maximum number of awards by any Bollywood film. It won 92 awards in total.
14. Kalki Koechlin’s great-grandfather was the chief engineer for the construction of the Eiffel Tower. His name was Maurice Koechlin, and he was also in charge for the construction of the Statue of Liberty.
15. Akshay Kumar, Arbaaz Khan, Salman Khan, and Anil Kapoor turned down the role of Ajay in the movie Baazigar, because of its negativity. It then went to Shahrukh Khan. The rest is history.