Predicted last year, Indian-American Sundar Pichai was to watch the throne of Google’s CEO. Well, the prediction just came true and Pichai is the new CEO at Google’s new parent company dubbed Alphabet. While the company will have multiple verticals like Calico (which focuses on Longevity), X lab (which incubates new efforts like Wing, Google’s drone delivery effort) Google life sciences (such as the one working on smart contact lens that detects blood sugar level) and Google’s investment arms, Pichai will be heading the search vertical of ‘Alphabet’. Here are 10 things you need to know about Sundar Pichai.
1. Sundar Pichai was born in Chennai, India in 1972. He is 42 Years old.
2. His real name is Pichai Sundarajan, though he is better known as Sundar Pichai.
3. Sundar Pichai joined Google in 2004 as a product and Innovation officer.
4. Pichai was named the Siebel Scholar at the University of Pennsylvania, one of the Ivy League universities.
5. Pichai earned his Bachelors degree from IIT Kharagpur and was also the silver medalist of his batch.
6. In the US, Sundar studied M.S. and MBA from Stanford University and Wharton University respectively.
7. Presently, Sundar is the Vice President of Android, Chrome & Apps at Google.
8. Sundar has been largely responsible for the creation of Google Drive, the Gmail app and Google video codec.
9. Although his efforts to on Chrome OS and Android apps put him at the top spot in Google.
10. Twitter tried to employ Pichai in 2011 but Google paid him a boggling $50 million to stay back on his job in Google.